Saturday, May 2, 2009

When I grow up

Since I have started this new chapter in my life as an English major, I have noticed I do not have as much time as I used to. This is a good thing because I do not have time for "a thousand indecision's." I do not focus quite so much on the more trivial aspects of my life, but see the greater whole. My time is better spent and more is accomplished. I feel like one of the most important things that an undergraduate degree does for a person is to teach them to think. It is a process of maturity and information collecting. College helps a person to categorize information and process it in an affective way. It is a way to prove to yourself and others that you can stand up to a challenge. On the downside of time, I do not have as much ability to work on more creative processes that I enjoy, such as poetry. However, I have noticed that when I get those little snippets of time, I have more in my storehouse of knowledge to be able to effectively express myself. I think the quality of my production stands out more than the quantity. It is very exciting to feel this happening. I find that when I sit down to read something I am able to take a more critical viewpoint. I have learned to challenge ideas that are presented weighing them out to safeguard truth. My education has enabled me to be a better observer and partaker of this life. I do not feel like I am as prone to fall prey to fallacy. I feel confident in my ability to delve into a piece of Literature, and to find the meaning. I also know better how to research and find help when I am uncertain. Finally, college has been an important lesson in time management. I have learned to meet deadlines and not put work off to the last minute.
I feel like the printed word has power. It is a way to reach out to, and communicate to people in a way other media cannot. I would like to be a part of this form of communication as a career. I am in a position in my life that a part-time freelance writing job would be just what I am looking for. The reading, writing, time-management and research skills I have gained will give me an edge in this type of career. I am also interested in continuing my education by graduate school. Journalism, English or possibly education highlight my interests. I am glad my children see me taking education seriously and hope this will help them in their educational experience as well. It is fun to all sit down to do our homework together. 
Good writing is a way to connect the human race. It is amazing to find so many of the concerns of people living thousands of years ago are still relevant today. My connection with literature helps me to understand other people better as well as myself. This type of Historical Criticism that considers race, place and time in a literary work is fascinating to me. Looking at a piece of writing as shaped by a time and place is helpful for interpretation. I find reading good writing helps shape my writing, improving style and form. I feel confident that whatever options present themselves to me, I will be better able to meet them with education and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment